Here Comes The Flood

Published August 14, 2016 by daisiesloveandpeace

It has only been one week since I wrote last, but it feels like years have passed between then and now.  I’m pretty sure I’ve aged a bit in this time.

Wednesday started the school year with students for me.  It was a stressful start because I am teaching three preps this year.  I also scheduled to take a certification test for another subject area Thursday evening, so I was stressed with studying.  I made it through both days, and passed my test!  The Fish told me I should go to his place to celebrate passing the test(he’d also helped me study a bit).  This was a HUGE deal because in the five months I’ve known him, he never even told me where he lived.

It started to rain on my way home from the test Thursday night.  I thought nothing of it, I’ve lived in Louisiana all of my life, that’s what happens here.  I carried my pretty pink polka dot umbrella and went on with my life.  I went to the Fish’s place around 8:30 Thursday evening.  We had a little fun, snuggled up on his sofa, and watched some TV.  Until the power went out at around 10:00.  I had to laugh as he lit candles around his apartment and we forced out conversation.  We were both a little tense and it was literally starting to get heated at that point, so I decided it was time for me to go home.  I was really worried that I wouldn’t be able to get out the gate at the complex, but it was fine.  We joked that I would have to call in to work in the morning “stuck at this dude’s place”.  I got home and went to sleep around midnight, ready for my five am Friday morning.

I woke up Friday morning to the sound of rain.  That was a little odd, but no cause for concern.  I noticed that a nearby school district had cancelled classes for the day, but we still had school.  I got myself ready and to the school around 6:15.  It was raining sideways, so I was still soaking wet, even with an umbrella.  There weren’t many people there and I was starting to hear that we were short staffed because some people couldn’t make it to school with the weather.  Shortly after, they cancelled school in our district.  We laughed it off, wondering why they would do that.  I went to breakfast with some coworkers, then spent most of the day on H‘s sofa.  I went home, took a nap, and watched the rain continue to fall.

That’s when it started to happen.  This is a bit more than a normal summer rain.  It just wasn’t letting up.  I went to bed thinking I was going to stay in and have a quiet weekend.

I woke up Saturday morning and it was still raining.  Roads were starting to close, and news reports were coming in of record flooding.  They talked about rivers cresting at really high levels.  Unprecedented was the word being used repeatedly.  I started to be a little concerned and tried to convince the Fish to come spend the day with me to pass the time.  He seemed to be entertaining the idea.  I decided to run to the store for some essentials in the event I lost electricity.

There was water in my street.  No big deal, right?  Wrong.  Water has never accumulated in my street.  And my house is built up quite a ways, so the water in the street was a little deep.  It wasn’t quite to the sidewalk yet, so I could make it out.  I was starting to be a little concerned and trying to formulate an escape plan just in case.  I got back to the house less than an hour later, and the water was up past the sidewalk.  I knew that if I was going to get out at that point, it needed to be then.

I went into a frenzy of packing a suitcase and essentials for me and the dogs.  I had to find a place to go that wasn’t in danger of flooding and was willing to take the dogs in as well(they each weigh 75 pounds, so most people and places don’t want to deal with that).  I called an aunt in my home town, and she told me to come on.  All of my friends basically laughed at me, thinking I was overreacting.  I told them I would rather be safe than sorry.  I packed up the car and made the two hour drive south.

That was a little over 24 hours ago.  The last update I received from my next door neighbor was at 5:30 this morning.  The water was to our doors and he was being rescued by boat.  I’ve seen some pictures and videos from our neighborhood, and my best estimate is that there is at least 2-3 feet of water in my house.

Many people I know are in the same situation, some even worse.  Some are trapped in their homes. I am safe and dry, but I know it will be a long road ahead.  I’m ready to get home to assess the damage and get things repaired.  I know it’s just stuff, but I am heartbroken, and I feel alone right now.  I just want someone to sit with.  Someone to hold my hand.


One of the pups finally getting some peaceful sleep after a rough few days.



3 comments on “Here Comes The Flood

  • Leave a Reply

    Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

    You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

    Twitter picture

    You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

    Facebook photo

    You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

    Google+ photo

    You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

    Connecting to %s

    %d bloggers like this: